Ambassadors of European Union, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, together with Jakarta Governor and Bike to Work community, bike to work during the EU Climate Diplomacy Week 2020 to promote bicycling as a means of eco-friendly transportation and sustainable urban lifestyle in Indonesia.
As part of the Climate Diplomacy Week 2020, organized by the European Union, the Nordic missions in Jakarta are carrying out a small high-level bicycling event to promote sustainable healthy urban living and climate-friendly transportation in cooperation with Bike2Work community and the EU delegation. The event also invites Governor of Jakarta H.E. Anies Baswedan, one of the solid promotors of the shift towards more climate-friendly transportation in Jakarta, to bike together with the Ambassadors of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and the EU.
In many parts of the world, after the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a surge in trend of usage of bicycling as a means of transportation, including in Jakarta. According to Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP), in June 2020, there was a 1000% increase of cyclist during rush hours compared to the previous year. In October 2020, the usage of bicycle in Jakarta has increased by 211% from the previous month.
The Nordics itself is a region with strong focus on cycling, sustainable transportation, and sustainable urban lifestyle. In Denmark, for example, a country famous for its cycling culture, people from all classes – politicians, students and businessmen – choose bicycle as a favourite means of transportation.
Bicycling is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transportation. It conveys a positive message to foster sustainable consumption and production, and has a positive impact on climate.
The EU Climate Diplomacy Week is an annual event where EU and its Member states run a global climate diplomacy outreach campaign through various events to foster dialogue and cooperation on climate change, showcase success stories, and inspire further action. In commitment to bring about sustainable urban solutions during the Climate Diplomacy Week, the EU Delegation and the Nordic Embassies are keen to support this event to strengthen the partnership between the city of Jakarta, the EU and the Nordic countries, whilst promoting bicycling and sustainable urban development in Indonesia.
The Nordic Bicycling Event
The event will take place on the 5th of November 07:00- 08:30 WIB. The meeting point will be at the residence of the Ambassador of European Union at Jalan Sriwijaya I, no 4, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta.
Afterwards, the small group will cycle towards Menara Rajawali in Mega Kuningan where the Nordic embassies are located.
EU – NORDIC BIKING EVENT CDW 2020 PROGRAM RUNDOWN
Date : 5 November 2020
Time : 07:00-08:30
Start line : EU Ambassador’s Residence,
Jl. Sriwijaya I No. 4 Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta
Finish line : Embassies of Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden
Menara Rajawali, Jl. DR Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung, Mega
Kuningan, South Jakarta
Route : (8km) Jl. Sriwijaya I – Senopati Suites – Patung Senayan –
Simpang Semanggi – Jl. Gatot Subroto – Jl. HR Rasuna Said –
Program : (06.45 am Arrival of participants)
07.00 am – Welcoming greetings. Short photo session.
07.10 am – Start cycling from EU Ambassador’s Residence.
08.10 am – Finish at the Nordic Embassies.
08.15 am – Photo session in front of the Embassies logo and press
08.30 am – Finish.
5 Nov 2020, 08.15am WIB
Embassies of Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden (outdoor)
Menara Rajawali, Jl. DR Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung, Mega Kuningan,
- H.E. Governor Anies Baswedan, Governor of Jakarta (confirmed)
- H.E. Ambassador Vincent Piket, Ambassador of EU
- H.E. Ambassador Lars Bo Larsen, Ambassador of Denmark
- H.E. Ambassador Jari Sinkari, Ambassador of Finland
- H.E. Ambassador Vegard Kaale, Ambassador of Norway
- H.E. Ambassador Marina Berg, Ambassador of Sweden
- Mr. Syafrin Liputo, Head of Dinas Transportation DKI Jakarta Province
- Ms. Faela Sufa, South East Asia Director of Institute for Transportation & Development Policy
- Mr. Adriansyah Yasin Sulaeman, Co-founder of Forum Diskusi Transportasi Jakarta (FDTJ)
- Mr. Alfred Sitorus, Chairman of Koalisi Pejalan Kaki
- Mr. Ivan Virnanda, General Chairman of Indonesia Road Safety Association (RSA Indonesia)
- Mr. Poetoet Soedarjanto, Chairman of Bike 2 Work Indonesia
- Mr. Mathias Bengtsson (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Political and Economic Advisor at the Danish
Embassy in Jakarta, 0817 6000 729
- Ms. Vremita Desectia (email@example.com) – Political and Communication Officer at the Danish
Embassy in Jakarta, 0817 100 257
- Ms. Henriette Faergemann (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Environment and Climate
Counsellor at the EU Delegation.